Monday, March 20, 2006

March 20


Down the road from my house is "antique row" in Canoga Park. It's an odd little section of town, a mix of the skanky and the genteel. Sex shops, head shops and tattoo parlours intersperse the antique stores. There's a shiny clean, well-patronized community theatre, and really grotty junk shops. A vegetarian restaurant and grocery store, and several sleazy bars. It's like this little microcosm of the city. The other day, in an attempt to lift my mood, I gave myself a $10 budget and went exploring. By the time I'd spent $7.75, I was feeling (a) a little better and (b) in desperate need of some hand sanitizer, so I called it a day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hashi, I know exactly the area you're talking about. One of our friends manages that theater. You got some great finds and I enjoy seeing how you laid out your treasures.

Sue Seibert said...

You did a great job. You know, I was just wondering if I do better without watercolor. I don't know.

I love the sound of the neighborhood...understand the hand sanitizer thing, too!

Lin said...

HOW NEAT these are!! And personally -- I LOVE the watercolor -- just the right 'spark' to the images I think ...

Anonymous said...

oh how fun! I think I have that ceramic piece...and I love the gloves...you got some good finds!

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

Those gloves are fabulous dahling...as is the rest of the drawing...and I know what you mean about dirty hands...just went to the good will store last week...felt filthy....

Linda said...

I LOVE that type of area. They are just the best places to hang out in, aren't they! The gloves were worth the afternoon shopping all by themselves, but then when you add the other finds, you really racked up! Great drawing of the lot of loot! :-)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful sketches, Hashi. And you got some cool things, too! Hope your spirits are lifted now.

daringtowrite said...

Michelle led me here and I think I'm getting way more than $10 worth ... while keeping my hands clean. (I know my keyboard is probably infested with bacteria, but I think it's mostly mine.)