I made two successful hacky sacks, and then the third one, for no apparent reason, turned out really huge. I'd used the same pattern, same yarn, same hook, but it was, like, fifty percent bigger. So I tried again, paying very careful attention to the number of stitches and increases, and this, my fourth hacky sack, turned out just right. I think maybe I started with one stitch too many on the previous attempt. By the time I did all the increase rows, I ended with a dozen more stitches, which did indeed make for a larger sack.
Anyway, I was relieved to manage another good one, but I have to say, I'm done with hacky sacks for now. I've nearly used all my share of the crochet cotton my sister and I dyed last year. Come back soon, Sister. We need to find more yarn and dye it. Among other fun things. I miss you.