Friday, August 11, 2006

August 11


My darling sister Annette has been at the hospital all day every day this week. She tells me that the hardest part is that Mum cannot communicate effectively. Everyone's listening, but Mum can't say what she wants to say. Yesterday Annette figured out, with a flash of inspiration, that Mum was asking for stronger pain killers for her arthritis. That's what her repetition of "Auntie, uncle, cousin" was all about. Can you imagine how horrible that must be, to be trapped inside a body that cannot convey your thoughts and words? Especially if you are really hurting?

Alison, bless her heart, delivered home grown daffodils to Mum this morning and reports: "She was sitting in a chair and seemed cheerful. She recognized you in the photo but her language was confused - not sure about her thoughts. I asked if Annette would be coming today - she recognized the name but couldn't give a sensible answer. Anyway I stroked her hand and told her how much you wished to be with her right now."

4 comments:

Alison said...

Yes, that would make sense - I thought she had understanding in her eyes but the words were all wrong - how awful and sad. Your pre prepared dinners look very impressive.

Tami said...

Hashi, I am so sorry, I think of all the things that I am afraid of strokes are one of the most. There is no warning really, one day fine and then everything changes. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. It must be so very hard to be so far away, too.

Jana Bouc said...

Great drawing and nice colors. I hope your mum is starting to heal and is out of danger. I've known two women who've had serious strokes and both of them did recover much of their former lives and abilities. I know that's little comfort now when everything is so hard. Take care and draw when you can.

Tui said...

Mama..Please let your friend know that her gesture touched my heart....What a lovely person she is...Tell her thank you from me..