Saturday, October 02, 2010

Pretty Thing

Pretty Thing
I asked my lovely knittery sister to set me up with a project while I was visiting her in Canberra. I wanted something small, but not too quick, with a bit of a challenge. We settled on a lace cowl, using Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's Pretty Thing pattern.

This is my first knitted lace! Woohoo! Sister very patiently taught me some tricks and fixed my mistakes and dropped stitches for the week I spent with her, then I was flying solo. The project spanned my vacation nicely; I completed it on the plane ride back.

I used a hand-painted sock yarn from Fibre Webs that sister had in her stash (40% bamboo, 40% wool, 20% nylon) which felt lovely in the ball, but turns out to be somewhat scratchy on the neck. So the finished item is not really wearable; however, I learned a lot, and I've decided that knitting is not boring after all :-)

No comments: