Sunday, October 17, 2010

Serger woes

serger woes
It's been ten months since Josh gave me a second hand serger. Sadly, we have not become intimate. I just don't understand it. I spent $105 getting it serviced, hoping it would come back all set up correctly, but no .... the first time I tried to sew, it jammed up horribly. I'm sure it was my fault.

Today, I decided, was the day to make my peace with the machine. I have two garments I want to make on it. So, fortified with many cups of tea, I approached my de-cluttered sewing table with a clear mind and a calm demeanor. I slowly followed the threading instructions, and tried it out.

Half an hour later, I am giving up. How on earth does that needle become unthreaded as I sew? (It's not in my trouble-shooting list!) Why can't I get the loops to have even tension, no matter how I fiddle with the knobs?

I need to learn to understand this beast. My local sewing shop gives a free class to new owners; perhaps if I pay them they'll let me bring in my stubborn baby and get some lessons in serger wrangling.

It can't be THAT hard, can it?

4 comments:

kt said...

I hope it gets sorted I know how frustrating sewing can be sometimes. The last sewing class I took(years ago) made me always smile because there was so much swearing under the breath taking place by all the sewers around me:)

deb did it said...

yes. sorry it is. my Serger refuses to perform any longer for me. it saw many good years 20 ago as I sewed Jams and Wrap Pants for my son. Now that I want to use it again...it refuses to stay threaded...I gave up. I wish I had better news.

Kristy said...

it is really frustrating when the machines will not play along!

The Hungry Crafter said...

Oooh, let me know if you figure it out! I have a new serger and I'm just too scared to even begin figuring out how to use it. I watched the instruction video and it just freaked me out... ;)