Monday, January 17, 2011

Getaway

Home tonight from a short solo getaway. Using my SIL's place near San Francisco as a base, I did a little exploring around Sacramento and Auburn.

Students of Californian history will be familiar with the name of John Sutter. I had absorbed a little knowledge of the man from the middle school children in my life, so when I saw the sign for Sutter's Fort, I knew I should check it out.

IMG_2587
IMG_2541
IMG_2548
I've visited my share of restored missions and other historic sites, and this one impressed me, with the range of rooms, tools, and artifacts on display. It's nicely done, and well worth a visit.

Next stop: Old Sacramento.

IMG_2597
IMG_2595
IMG_2594
IMG_2596

Then it was north-east to the little town of Auburn. Known for its Gold Rush history, Auburn also has a nicely preserved Old Town area.

But my real reason for going there was to visit Auburn State Recreation Area. It was a foggy day, so instead of photographing vistas, I shot minutiae.

IMG_2650
IMG_2645
IMG_2644
IMG_2634
IMG_2630
IMG_2621

Peaceful, restorative, head-clearing ... it was a perfect getaway.

2 comments:

kt said...

what a cool getaway Hashi glad you shared it with us!

deb did it said...

beautiful textures, lines and contrasts! Lovely walk-about!